Wednesday, November 15, 2006

You heard it here first (or hundredth); who am I to claim I'm alone in this?



I don't think the Red Sox are going to sign Daisuke Matzuzuka. And the reason why I say this is because their posting bid for him was so obscenely above that of anyone else's that bid on this fellow that it simply looks like they were running interference on the Yanks.

Why do I say this? Scott Boras suggested Matzuzuka deserved big money not only because of the talent he'd bring to the table, but also because he'd be a marketing cash cow. And even though this is probably more a ploy to gain leverage than anything else, it's true. But last time I checked, there's another pitcher out there on the open market who would do the same thing for the Sox for less cash. Take a wild guess who.







I say the Red Sox run the negotiations with Boras all the way up to the midnight deadline of the 30 day time period, then throw up their hands and say, "We just couldn't get it done..." In the meantime, the Yanks have been denied a legit #1 starter, and the Sox'll get a chance in the Matzuzuka derby next year when everyone's in the mix...plus they don't have to cut the check for the aforementioned obscene posting fee. Most people disagree with me, Deadspin and writers from SI among them. I'm willing to go out on a limb, though. I don't think it'll happen.

Boras will push for too much, the Red Sox will low ball, and nothing will get done. In the meantime, the Sox will pick up Clemens for a year at close to 20 mil, start to rake in the marketing dough, deal Manny, and maybe make a serious push for some outfield help (Soriano?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home